Thursday, July 17, 2008

GMS week 7

Good day Family and Friends,

We shall begin with recent events and then move into what God has been doing in my life.

First Dave is GONE! Ah the humanity! His side of the room lies barren and I am left alone. I am not actually that emotionally effected, but I am definitely bummed out. Just as we were starting to grow closer is was ripped away from me by the air force and sent to turkey. I praise God for the time that we did have together though and am encouraged by what I have seen God do in his life over the summer.

What has God been doing this week? Hmmm...
It seems as though every week God brings to the fore front something different every time. This weeks focus was brought upon truly finding my identity in Christ, truly loving the world, non-christians whom I interact with, and my Christian friends as well.

Identity in Christ - Not a works based salvation
Over the past week God has been speaking a lot of truth into my life regarding this subject. In fact the focus for this week's study was "Identity in Christ" which was and has been so clutch when looking back at the state I was in over the weekend. I was able to get some time with our speaker this week and he was also able to tell me a lot of truth. He mostly talked and advised us on listening prayer(1).
Lie from Satan - God will only provide me with salvation and look well upon me if I act strictly according to his law. That I can never rest, that if I am resting I am using my time unwisely and not for the Lord.
1st Truth from God - Regarding a works based salvation.
Galatians 4:1-2 "What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. 2He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father." If you want to understand more you should probably read this verse in context. For me this verse opened my eyes of my heart to the fact that it was God set the time for me to receive the full rights of being his adopted son. Before this I had the same rights as a slave. God brought me out of slavery and accepted me as his adopted son, I did nothing, could do nothing. My role was to be a slave and in such a role I could make no decision contrary to what I was instructed to do, my instructor was the sinful nature (Ephesians 2:1-3).
2nd Truth from God - Regarding rest.
Hebrews 4:9 "There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;" I am able to rest at times but others I feel like I should be doing something, this is definitely still a work in progress.

In both of these truths I have not even come close to fully grasping them and living them out in my life. I am continually being molded and shaped by God. That being said I have gained a greater heart knowledge of both of them over the past week.

Loving the World and fellow Christians well -
God has been bring to my attention that I continue to love those around me poorly, especially those of the world. I am uncertain how I can directly influence whom I love and to what extent that love will be poured out. My only thoughts have been to look to Christ and his character and to pray continually for a greater love of those around me. One reason I desire a greater love for non-Christians is to portray Christ in me to them, hopefully giving them a desire for Christ as well. A reason for why I desire to form a greater love for my fellow believers in Christ is because of John 13:34,35
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
By showing my love to this coworker I am loving as Christ loved and therefore revealing Christ's character to those who do not believe.

The end is near and I am sure that it will come much quicker than expected. This week as already blazed by. I am excited to return home but I will be saddened when I leave all of these people whom I have developed a strong connection with and deep love for.

Prayer
- Satan continues to attack my mind with worries about money. Pray that I will be able to give this up to God and trust him with it.
- That my mind will stay here in Vermont, while I am here, and not dwell on things to come in Arizona.
- A loving spirit
- I have not been sleeping well. There is a lot of unrest while I am trying to go to bed. Pray that God would expose the reason and begin working upon it.
- Pray for the hearts and minds of the non-Christians I work with, that a great vacuum would be created within that would give them a desire to know the one true God.
- Pray for my one Christian co-worker. She is feeling worn down after 2 years of working just with non-Christians. She feels as though she is always losing. Pray that she would be encouraged.

Thanks
- Jon


(1) Listening Prayer - The act of praying to God and then to sitting in silence, regardless of how awkward it may be, and wait for him to respond to you. (Has been very beneficial every time I have done it.)

1 comment:

Catia said...

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the prayer request,God knew all about it already, that's why HE sent you. After our brief chat I realized that I can't control everything that happens in the heart and mind of those people around me, only God can. I might not totally change lives here in Burlington, but hey! Christ is in charge of changing lives, not me. He has a special way with each one of us. Also, the fingers of condamnation that were pointed at me were not Gog's fingers, but the Devil's, who wants to bring those ungodly feelings into my heart and shatter my spirit. God wants me to know that there are no guilty veredict over my soul, I am free, even to screw up sometimes. And it is okay.
I thank God for bringing people in my life that one way or the other made me realize all this. I know I am not alone and Christ will always come to my rescue, when I think it is too much weight.
There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus! Amen!!

Love, Catia.