Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Week 8 GMS

Good day family and friends,

A word that would aptly define this past week would be joy. God has blessed me immensely by filling me with his joy. This comes as a result from a few things.
The first being that I had an awesome talk with my team leader where we were able to talk out some issues that had come up between us over team weekend (the trip to Boston). The usual culprit pride was at the head of our conflict. Once it was discussed I was over joyed to be able to rejoice with him once more as my brother in Christ.
The second that God has been ever so gently showing me my weaknesses over the past week. Showing me that I can't do everything and that I don't have to. That he has everything under control and that "[his] power is made perfect in [my] weakness." Which has been a sweet answer to prayer. I have been longing to have a portion of my pride taken from me and he has done it by exposing my weaknesses. Though I am still utterly and completely prideful I am thankful for what God has done so far.
Two examples of how he has gently exposed my weaknesses to me.
- That I will never be fully prepared to lead a bible study in the fall. I need him to compensate for these weaknesses. He is eager to do so.
- Sharing my faith with my coworkers scares me to death. It is only through his strength that it can be done effectively.

God has also given me a completely different view of my faith. My view of faith changed from it being irrational, which is how the world sees it to having it be a logical though process, which I am all about.

The program is coming to a close. I am excited to go home but bummed to leave all of my new friends at the same time.

Prayer Requests
- Once again that my mind would stay here for the remainder of the program.
- That once I leave I would be able to effectively reflect on what God has taught me this summer and have legitimate change brought upon my person.
- Team unity. As we near the end we seem to be drifting apart.


Thanks
Jon

1 comment:

exdeadhead said...

Beware of people who would challenge your pride. Pride is a sin before God. Atrrogance is a sin before man (and God). I've seen it that man's challenges to another's pride are often enough really just a call to be submissive to them, their will, and not necessarily God's.

Pride can be a good thing, more like confidence, pride/confidence in who you are. Pride in what you accomplish, in your work (with glory to God for the opportunity).

If somebody wants to challenge my righteous pride, THEY CAN GO POUND SAND, especially amature psychologists living as or aspiring to be professional Christians.

Anyway, my point is, do not lose who you are in order to satisfy somebody else's concept of who you ought to be.

Took me 17+ years to figure that out.

--Dad